The Connecticut Reading Association is a professional literacy organization. Membership is open to all classroom teachers, reading specialists, administrators, paraprofessionals, college and university professors and students, and anyone interested in promoting literacy.
We are the state affiliate of the International Literacy Association and sponsor leadership and workshop activities designed to support literacy instruction in schools, public and private, throughout Connecticut. Our five regional councils and special interest council, CARR (Connecticut Association for Reading Research) promote outreach activities to foster literacy for all ages.
The mission of the Connecticut Reading Association is to empower educators, inspire students, and encourage our community to embrace literacy as an essential tool for lifelong success.
|CONTACTS: (as of August 2017)|
President: Jennifer DeRagon
Past President: Sandy Potts
Vice President/Director of Membership: Susan Meaney
Treasurer: Cathy Mastrianna
Secretary: Cathy GrimesBoard Members:
|LOCAL COUNCIL PRESIDENTS
Eastern: Kristen Stevens
Fairfield County: Judy McArdle and Cathy Grimes
Greater Hartford: Jennifer DeRagon
Northwest: Alison Huntington
Nutmeg: Susan Meaney
The Connecticut Reading Association is pleased to offer:
- CRA Annual State Conference: We provide professional development opportunities that highlight regional and nationally recognized speakers, authors and illustrators. We host vendor exhibits and offer incentives to our valued members.
- Literacy Awards and Grants: We are pleased to honor our finest administrators and educators through our three CRA Awards. Consider nominating “An Unsung Hero” this year. Our Teaching Grants are available to provide funding for various literacy projects.
- Coordination with the ILA (International Literacy Association) on international projects and programs
- Sponsorship of Connecticut Loves to Read Day in various locations throughout the state
- Liaison to Connecticut State Department
- Support to parents and families through literacy projects and programs
Visit the Connecticut State Department of Education to learn more about the Common Core Standards.